Monday, February 11, 2008

A Rare Winter Visitor



I was very suprised last Friday to find a bird I had never seen before feeding at my suet feeder. I was able to watch the bird for about 1/2 hour and get one photo of it. I thumbed through my bird books and couldnt quite identify it. With the help of several bird enthusiasts and an expert naturalist from the Maine Audubon Headquarters we identified it as a Hermit Thrush! What makes this even more interesting is they do not winter in Maine. Hermit Thrushes spend their winters in the South with their furthest range north being about CT. The Audubon society was very excited about the find and said they would feature it in their weekly bird alert! Birding has been a passion of mine since I was a Cubscout! I had a den mother Mrs. Appanel who instilled a love of bird feeding and watching in me. I have been hooked ever since. My wife can witness for the thousands of dollars I have spent on black sunflower seed, millet, suet cakes etc. Think of all those new clothes she could of purchased. I put that money to much better use!

John

No comments: