Saturday, August 16, 2008

BROOK TROUT !





We spent a little bit of our precious time at camp fishing. I have had a love of fishing since I was a kid. My stepfather Charlie would take me and my sister Alicia fishing for bass on his boat in Lakeville, MA. I have loved fishing ever since, it's not always about the sport of catching a fish. I enjoy those fleeting moments of solitude coupled with the rush of adrenaline when you get a "fish on". Well I have been fishing at camp since I started dating Kadi (1990). I have never had much success with finding any noteworthy fish in Aziscoos Lake. When my father in law Phil was alive he would take us out on the orange peel (Its a Boat that looked like a rotten Orage color). He would drop the down riggers trolling at a pretty good clip pulling a lure. He would pull up the occasional Salmon or Trout. Well contrast that with my style of fishing. Paddle out in a canoe on a gray half rainy day. Then drop a make shift anchor consisting of a half broken concrete block attached to three different ropes. Sit in a spot about 50 feet from the dock where you normally only catch chubs, suckers, or horn pout. You are in a spot about 35-40' deep because of the extremely high water level for this time of year because of all the rain. Drop two of your fishing lines with only a steel sinker,#10 hook and half of a big fat night crawler. Sit and take in the Eagle flying overhead and the Heron Crane and Loons nearby. Then a yank on my line. I reel it in and notice it feels heavier than the normal chub I might catch. Well my first fish of the day turns out to be a 17 1/2 Brook Trout. I am dumbfounded and run the fish into shore and share the news with Kadi and girls. Madeline then goes right back out with me and within 10 minutes she lands a 16 1/2" Brook Trout. I catch one more 10" Brook Trout which I release. Madeline kindly on her own prompting gives her fish to a long time friend of Phil's who has a camp nearby (Ray Almstead). Kadi cooks up my Brook Trout the next night for dinner. I am not much of a fish eater and was in the mood for steak. Well from the sounds of Kadi she enjoyed every last morsel of the fillet. All I heard was "umm, ooh" and "umm this is so good". I thought for a moment Clara was sitting back next to me. Well what a great experience to finally
land some Trout on my terms!

No comments: