Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Uncommon Bird Sighting at Skroski's Feeder



I was washing the dishes this morning and put them down to look at my feeder as I thought I saw a flash of blue go by. When I see blue it means one, I am really depressed because summer is here and I will be working allot of weekends. Or it means a Blue Jay has arrived to ravage my feeders. At least the blue Jay's scare the heck out of those pesky red squirrels. Well this time the flash of blue I had seen wasn't either. There was this beautiful blue bird that had a little black and brown mixed into its feathers. I had never seen this bird before. I knew it wasn't an eastern blue bird. I watched it for a few minutes and snapped a few photo's of it. I flipped open my National Geographic field guide and narrowed it down to pretty much a Blue Gross Beak or a Indigo Bunting. Well a naturalist at Maine Audubon confirmed that it was a Indigo Bunting. A couple older birding friends of mine have never seen the bird before. One other birder has only seen two of them in the past 14 years. Well enjoy the photo it might be the last one you see of it in a while. It was a great find for an amateur like me!

No comments: