Saturday, May 31, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Craziness!


The Memorial Day Weekend marks the start of my summer season in Phippsburg. The town blooms overnight with thousands of visitors coming to Popham Beach, Fort Popham, Fort Baldwin, Sebasco Harbor Resort, Hermit Island Campground, Meadowbrook Campground, Head Beach etc. Well this Memorial Day weekend was no different. A matter a fact it was one of the busiest I have ever experienced. I will give you a little wrap up.

1. I stopped a car for an expired registration on Rt. 209. I approached the driver and asked him for his license and registration. He had his hands on the steering wheel and was visibly shaking. I stuck my head in closer to the open window and could smell the odor of residual alcohol emanating from the interior. Well I discovered the 17 year old driver and his 17 year old passengers had a 30 pack of Coors Beer and a Bottle of Captain Morgan Rum they were going to partake of, I think not busted!

2. I stopped a car full of kids that were tailgating some older lady who travelling the speed limit 45 mph. I stepped out of my cruiser to walk up and speak to the driver. The driver tossed a burning cigarette out the window onto the pavement. Well that's not the way to start a good relationship with a Police Officer. I approached the driver and immediately had him exit the vehicle and put out and pick up the cigarette. I next asked him for his license. He responded that he had lost his wallet and did not have it with him. I ascertained his name and date of birth and found out he was only 16. He had gotten his license a little over a month ago. Well that means he cant be smoking, or transporting his car full of friends.

3. I went to stop a car about 1:00 a.m on Saturday night- Sunday Morning. The car was travelling 45 mph in a 35 mph zone and had a defective loud exhaust. I was familiar with the car as I had stopped it about a month ago and seized a bag of marijuana from the driver/owner. I had also investigated the same person for his involvement in a domestic assault about two months ago. Well he thought he was the better driver and could ditch me. He tried to duck into a driveway that was not his and and cut his lights out. The problem was I know where he lives and some one had tried that same routine their before. The Rocket scientist forgot to take his foot off the brake lights as to. Well he was 20 years old and had been drinking, but not drunk. However as a minor you cant have a drop of alcohol in your system. So he scored his trifecta!

4. A an older 1989 Chevrolet Cavalier drove by me with about 7 people sitting in the 4-5 passenger seat car. The passengers in the back were all kids from about 13-5 years old. They were sitting on each others laps. They immediately tried to pretend they had seat belts on that would not fit over them. Well Mom you can tell your story to the judge. That is just plain stupid in my book.

I had a few others including a crazy assault case. It was a very busy weekend now I am buried in paperwork. Summer has arrived in Phippsburg see you kids next fall.

1 comment:

Brad and Rebecca said...

love love love the cop stories!